In the late 1850s, a new concept was introduced in the discipline of medicine. Today, the concept is known as the biomedical model of health. Moreover, since then this model has apparently helped in analysing diseases. Furthermore, the basic ideology of the concept has 3 sections. However, the method of any treatment or medication is not included in the biomedical model of health. So, we can say that it is not similar to the physiological model. Additionally, no factors of psychological nature and psychological condition are included in this category. Therefore, we can say that its only focus is on the biological factors affecting your health.
During academic years, students who are studying medicine and health often come across the biomedical model of health. Also, they are required to solve related assignments which can be complex at times. Hence, they seek assignment help. Now, we will dive deep into the topic and read about the factors, points, advantages, criticism, etc. of the biomedical model of health. If you are a medical student then this blog will be quite helpful for you.
Introduction to Biomedical Model of Health
As mentioned above, the biomedical model of health is in existence since the late 1850s. Moreover, before the 1850s, diseases were believed to be the outcome of curses and spirits’ possession. Knowing about any disease, its prevention, and recovery was a mysterious matter back then. However, with the understanding and development of the cell and germ theory of disease, it was possible to understand the disease and sufferings. And, it was all possible due to biology and the biomedical model of health.
Rudolf Virchow is said to be the person behind the idea. According to him, the reason for pathology is the deteriorated cell. Moreover, when people came to know that the disease is the result of malfunctioning cells (fundamental molecules of life) it became easy for them to target the cause.
Now, we can say that the according to the biomedical model of health, the absence of any disease in the living body is health. Moreover, the same model says that when any pathogen (disease-causing bacteria) disturbs the innate roles of the body, it is the disease. Moreover, the focus of the model is on the objective findings i.e., finding symptoms for further medical investigations to bring good health back.
In addition to this, the biomedical model of health also draws a line between the mind and body. It suggests that the deteriorated cell or tissue affects a body in a negative manner which further affects the mind negatively. Hence, if we treat the deteriorated cell or tissue, it will help the body in recovery which further helps the mind to recover.
“I am a medical student and I came across the biomedical model of health. It was quite a complex topic for me to grasp. Hence, I needed an expert’s assistance. Additionally, I had assignments with deadlines which was making it tougher to understand the concept easily. So, I asked the experts to do my assignment and I put all my efforts into understanding the concept of the model. Moreover, today it is a dominating concept in the western healthcare settings.” Rachel Mathews
Main Point of Biomedical Model of Health
Medical practitioners have outlined some main points of the biomedical model of health. Moreover, we can also consider the features of the model to illness and health. Give it a quick read.
- The first feature of the model is the convention of explicit aetiology. According to this feature of the biomedical model of health, all sickness and infection are inferable from a particular, physiological malfunctioning.
- The second feature of the model says that the body is a machine. Moreover, it says that the body is shaped by hardware which can be easily fixed by clinical specialists.
- The third feature of the model talks about mind-body differentiation. It states that the psyche and body are independent elements which do not have relations when it comes to illness and disease.
- Reductionism is the fourth feature of the biomedical model of health which explains the complex phenomenon in its fundamental constituents.
- The fifth feature of the model is the narrow meaning of wellbeing. This is said to be a condition of well-being where there is no illness.
- The individualistic feature is also the sixth feature of the model which says that the reason for weakness generally lies within the individual and not the climate.
- The seventh feature of the model is treatment versus counteraction. This feature says that the focal point of well-being is on the determination and treatment of sickness, not avoidance.
- Next is treatment basic, the eighth feature of the biomedical model of health which suggest that medication can fix an ill body.
- The neutral scientific process is the last feature of the model. It says that the healthcare systems around the world and specialists in wellbeing are socially and culturally disengaged and insignificant.
Hence, these are the features of the biomedical model of health. Moreover, if you are a student and looking for law assignment help then you can seek the best assistance from Make My Assignments. We have the best writing experts who can help you with any type of academic assignment.
Advantages of Biomedical Model of Health
In order to study and understand illness and health, the biomedical model of health is used widely. Moreover, the model has a number of advantages. On the other hand, it faces criticism around the world because it focuses majorly on the physical body. As per the critics, the model avoids other factors that can impact the body negatively. However, alongside these criticisms, the biomedical model of health remains the first choice of medical practitioners for the benefits it offers. Now, let us read about the advantages one by one.
- One of the significant advantages of the model is that the focus model is on scientific proofs. Moreover, it emphasises more on lab tests and medical imaging tests. Because these scientific tests produce reliable treatment and diagnoses. Also, with the help of scientific pieces of evidence, the model helps in the prevention of disease and its early detection. Furthermore, early detection helps in better health outcomes.
- Another advantage of the biomedical model of health is its reductionist factor. With the help of this factor, we can understand the condition of our health, its symptoms, treatments, and preventions in a much simpler manner. Moreover, we can understand any complex phenomenon and understand it in a manageable way. Furthermore, these factors also help any layman to know more about the human body and the development of diseases. Also, it is a great way to get a significant breakthrough in the treatment.
- In addition to all the aforementioned advantages, the biomedical model of health has a great success rate in the treatment of acute diseases and injuries. Hence, if the medical practitioners make the right use of the model, they can effectively figure out the health issues. Moreover, they can help patients in getting better physically. Also, you can get help with project management assignments if you have any trouble understanding the concepts.
Interference is the most crucial action that anyone can take to make the health of a person better. Moreover, the interference can be in the name of prescriptions, hospitalization, surgery, and other medical treatments. Furthermore, we can say that the biomedical model of health creates research innovations without which it would not be easy to diagnose and treat any condition.
“Being a student, every step is a challenge for me. Moreover, academic assignments are always under pressure when it comes to deadlines. I had to face a horrible situation in my math discipline. So, I asked experts to do my math homework. That is when I landed on a page where there was a great piece of information about the biomedical model of health. As a layman, I am grateful to the concept as it helps us in understanding any bodily issue in a fraction of time.” – Richard Williams.
Criticism and Disadvantages of Biomedical Model of Health
In the modern healthcare setting, the biomedical model of health is a significant name and paradigm. Moreover, it has a number of disadvantages associated with it alongside all the benefits. The disadvantages are enlisted depending on the fact that the model can put a negative impact on the patients as well as the medical practitioners. Now, let us read about these disadvantages in detail.
- One of the major disadvantages of the model is that it does not focus on the treatment of the root cause of the disease but rather focuses on the treatment of symptoms.
- As a result of which, often the treatments are ineffective or harmful to human health. This is because the model does not focus on the full scope of the needs and conditions of the patient.
- Another disadvantage is that the model chooses pharmaceutical treatments over any other form of treatment. For example, exercise. Yes, medication can help in some situations but relying only on drugs can be a negative turn and affect the health of the patients in the worst way possible. In some cases, patients tend to develop other diseases as well.
- The biomedical model of health has some major limitations because it often ignores the fact that factors like lifestyle and diet can put a significant impact on the overall health of a person. Moreover, it results in a fragmented view of medications in which the focus is only on the treatment of the individual symptoms and does not work on the holistic approach.
Hence, we can say that the disadvantages of this model of health can be considered for the betterment of the model so that it would be helpful for a number of patients around the world. Moreover, we cannot ignore the fact that the biomedical model of health has a major reliance on technology. Hence, it is expensive. Furthermore, it does not motivate people to live a healthy lifestyle.
Also read: How to Write a Report Assignment?
So, this was all about the biomedical model of health. Here, we studied the definition, features, advantages and disadvantages of the biomedical model of health. We hope that the blog was helpful for you. For more such informative content, keep visiting us.
Frequently Asked Questions
|Question: 1 Is the biomedical model of health good?|
Answer: 1 The biomedical model of health is a relevant term for a number of illnesses based on diseases. Moreover, it supports biological findings. So, yes, we can say that the model is good.
|Question: 2 How is the biomedical model used in social care?|
Answer: 2 It is a dominant modern model for diseases. Moreover, it has its focuses on the physical processes that put impact our health such as physiology.